ONLY MY BEST IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME
Benhurst School is a primary school for infant and junior boys and girls aged from 4+ to 11+ years. We are situated in Elm Park in the London Borough of Havering. We have just over 300 pupils and can admit up to 45 children during the school year.
The school's name originated from 'Ben' - a room of a cottage and 'Hurst' - a wooded hillside or glade. This area was once an orchard and hunting reserve and all roads around the school have names connected with forestry, e.g. Warren, Eyehurst, Northwood and Woodcote.
The school celebrated its 70th annivesary in 2006. Its foundation was necessary with the development of the Elm Park estate by Richard Costain in the 1930's. The temporary building erected then has served the community well and with few alterations, houses our school today.
The aims of the school are to:
• Create a happy, stimulating and challenging learning environment, providing equal opportunities for all.
• Enable every pupil to fulfil their maximum potential within a safe, caring environment.
• Provide a broad and balanced education for all pupils which fulfils National Curriculum requirements.
• Encourage each pupil to be responsible, confident, self-sufficient and self-motivated.
• Develop social and environmental awareness both within school and in the wider community.
• Enable pupils to acquire the knowledge, skills and practical abilities which will be relevant to them in later life.
• Help pupils understand the world in which they live and to recognise the interdependence of individual groups and nations.
• Nurture self-respect, respect for each other and for those of all abilities, races, religions and ways of life.
• Enable pupils to appreciate all forms of human achievement and to strive for excellence themselves.
• Identify special educational needs and make provision for all pupils of all abilities.
• Maintain an environment where staff, governors and parents can work together for the successful achievement of these aims.